Want to witness the magic of fresh snowfall? Have a snowball fight with your friends or build a snowman? From Yusmarg in Kashmir to Pulga in Himachal Pradesh, there are numerous underrated snow paradises in India that witness maximum snowfall.
If you are fascinated by the idea of being surrounded by snow, visit these 10 places in India this winter.
Here are ten Underrated Places in India to visit for an enthralling snowfall:
1) Mashobra, Himachal Pradesh
While many tourists from across the country flock to hill stations like Manali and Dharamshala during winters, my favorite destination is Mashobra. Located 12 kilometers from Shimla, Mashobra is a tiny town that experiences heavy snowfall during December and January.
The best part of staying in this hamlet is that it’s connected to famous tourist spots like Kufri and Narkanda. You can spend your days exploring the nearby areas and indulging in exciting snow activities.
- When Does it Snow in Mashobra? It snows in Mashobra during December and January.
- Where to Stay in Mashobra During Snowfall? You can stay at the Summit Thistle Villas Luxury Spa Resort.
- What to do in Mashobra During Snowfall? You can visit the Kufri snow point, and go for a snow trek amidst the jungle.
2) Pulga, Himachal Pradesh
Several hidden villages in Himachal Pradesh witness massive snowfall during the peak winter season. One of them is Pulga. If you want to relax amidst nature and take a break from the city’s noise, head to Pulga this winter.
Believe me, the beauty of this ancient village during snowfall will leave you mesmerized. It’s located in the breathtaking Parvati Valley near Kullu District.
Please note: The only road to Pulga gets shut for cars during snowfall. Therefore, you must reach the village by trekking which takes 10-15 minutes.
- When Does it Snow in Pulga? The months of December, January, and February witness maximum snowfall in Pulga.
- Where to Stay in Pulga During Snowfall? The best places to stay are Starlight Guest House, Shiva Cafe, Baba’s Cafe, and Home Stay.
- What to Do in Pulga During Snowfall? You can have a bonfire with the locals or enjoy live music sessions at Baba Cafe.
3) Yousmarg, Kashmir
Want to visit a fairytale land covered with snow all around? Visit this untouched paradise in Kashmir. A 2-hour drive from Srinagar, Yousmarg is a hill station that gets covered with snow during winters in Kashmir.
It is situated in the Ganderbal district and is known for its scenic beauty and nature walks. The hill station starts receiving fresh snowfall in December each year.
However, you may have to take a 4×4 vehicle to reach Yousmarg during peak winters as the road to the town gets blocked due to heavy snowfall.
- When does it snow in Yousmarg? It snows during December-February in Yousmarg.
- Where to stay in Yousmarg during snowfall? You can stay at The Kaisar, Clarks Inn, or Walisons Hotel.
- Things to do in Yousmarg during snowfall: Go for a snow hike, or have a bonfire near the Doodhganga river.
4) Auli, Uttarakhand
A perfect destination for a winter trip, Auli is a tranquil hill station situated in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand. When you visit here during snowfall, you will get to see the majestic Nanda Devi and Nar Parvat mountain peaks covered with fresh snow.
Also a Hindu pilgrimage site, Auli turns dreamy during December and January. Furthermore, you can try activities like Skiing and Snowboarding.
- When Does it Snow in Auli? You can witness snowfall in Auli during December, January, and February.
- Where to Stay in Auli During Snowfall? Try the Blue Poppy Resort, Tattva Resort, or Ski Resort.
- Things to do in Auli During Snowfall: You can enjoy adventure activities like Snow Skiing and trekking, and try taking a cable car ride.
Also Read: 10 Underrated Benefits of Traveling
5) Mukteshwar, Uttarakhand
How about going for a digital detox and visiting a remote hill station near Nainital this winter? Experience snowfall at its best by visiting Mukteshwar, a little village 51 km from the Nainital district.
Although you can see this serene place throughout the year, it’s best to experience the beauty of this hamlet during winters.
- When does it snow in Mukteshwar? It snows in Mukteshwar in January.
- Where to stay in Mukteshwar during snowfall? The best place to stay is Mukteshwar Greens.
- What to do in Mukteshwar during snowfall? You can visit the Nanda Devi peak and explore nearby areas like Almora and Kasauni.
6) Narkanda, Himachal Pradesh
Are you seeking some thrilling adventure this winter? Visit Narkanda to indulge in exciting winter sports like skiing and snow hiking.
The hill station is situated at a distance of 60 km from Shimla, the capital of Himachal Pradesh, and is a popular winter destination for Chionophiles.
- When does it snow in Narkanda? It snows in Narkanda during November, December, January, and February.
- Where to stay in Narkanda during snowfall? You may stay at the Skyline Villa or Echor Greens.
- What to do in Narkanda during snowfall? Try adventure activities and visit the Hatu Peak.
7) Lachen, Sikkim
Visiting Sikkim is always a wonderful experience. The lakes, mountain peaks, lush green meadows, and waterfalls make it one of India’s most popular tourist destinations.
But have you been to Lachen, a fascinating town located in Mangan District that turns into heaven during snowfall? The temperature falls to minus 5 degrees, and roads and houses are covered with snow, with nothing but beauty all around you.
- When does it snow in Lachen? Snowfall occurs in Lachen during December, January, and February.
- Where to stay in Lachen during snowfall? Try the Delight Royal Lachen, or Khenkhim Regency.
- What to do in Lachen during snowfall? You can indulge in snow sports and enjoy views of snow-clad ranges.
8) Lambasingi, Andhra Pradesh
India is a land full of mysterious and breathtaking places that stay with you forever. One such hidden gem is Lambasingi.
Located in the Vishakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh, this ancient hamlet witnesses heavy snowfall during winters and is a must-visit place for those seeking snowfall and serenity. In fact, it is one of the few places that receive snowfall in Andhra Pradesh.
- When does it snow in Lambasingi? It experiences massive snowfall between November to January.
- Where to stay in Lambasingi during snowfall? You can lodge at the Silver Oak’s Resort, or Jungle Camping.
- What to do in Lambasingi during snowfall? Try visiting the Araku Valley, and go snow hiking at Ghat Road.
9) Solang Valley, Himachal Pradesh
Imagine an entire valley turning into a winter wonderland. That is Solang Valley for you during winters. Visit this place to witness fresh and heavy snowfall and make the most of it by seeking adventure activities in the valley. You can also travel to nearby villages like Vashisht and Jibhi.
- When does it snow in Solang Valley? It snows during October-March.
- Where to stay in Soland Valley during snowfall? You can stay at the Solang Ski Resort, or Solang Diaries.
- What to do in Solang Valley during snowfall? Try Snow activities, and play winter sports.
10) Sandakphu, West Bengal
A picturesque town located at the India-Nepal border, Sandakphu is a must-visit place if you want to seek solitude and enjoy the snow.
Many couples visit this place during winter for its tranquil vibe and scenic charm. It is the highest peak in West Bengal and is surrounded by spectacular cliffs and mountain ranges.
- When does it snow in Sandakphu? It snows during December-January.
- Where to stay in Sandakphu during snowfall? You can stay at The Maitri Retreat.
- Things to do in Sandakphu during winters: Visit nearby places like Tonglu and Tumbling, and go for a nature walk amidst snow.
There are so many scenic hotspots in India that you can visit during winter to experience snowfall. But sometimes, it’s better to ditch the overcrowded and overrated destinations and explore the hidden gems that take you to another world.
So this winter, go for an adventurous snow expedition to these 10 underrated winter destinations in India and let us know about your experiences.