Add gravy to an appetizing dish, and it becomes even more flavorful. I hope you have read my Dry Eggplant Recipe and are now eager to learn how to make Eggplant Curry with gravy. Here it is.
- Eggplant – 10 (small size) (Slit them lengthwise, making a plus sign)
- Green chilies – 4 (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 6-7 pieces (medium size) cut into large slices
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 large size (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium size (finely chopped/puree)
- Mustard oil
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – half tsp
- Black cardamom – 1
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cinnamon stick – small 1 inch
- Salt – as per taste
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Sabzi masala – half tsp
- Water – As per the requirement
- Take a pan with 5-6 tbsp of oil, heat it, and then shallow fry the eggplants for around 15 mins on slow flame after covering it. Keep flipping in between.
- Once done, keep it aside. Now take 4-5 tbsp of oil in a pan & heat it.
- Add some fennel seeds, cumin seeds, black cardamom, bay leaf & cinnamon stick.
- Once they start spluttering, add garlic to it. Roast it for some time till light brown color.
- Now add finely chopped onion, and cook it for 5-7 mins.
- Add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste into the pan and all the spices mentioned above.
- Mix them all together and cook the masala for 1 min.
- Now add finely chopped tomato & salt, also put some water (1 teacup) and cover it.
- Cook them for 10-12 mins until they start leaving the oil. In between, keep stirring while adding a small amount of water (to avoid burning the spices).
- Once cooked properly, add 1 large glass of water into the pan and give it a boil on high flame.
- Now slow down the flame, gradually add all the eggplants, & cook them for around 10 mins after covering them. It can take more time, depending on the quantity. Taste it before turning off the flame.
Now our eggplant curry is ready. You can have it with hot rice or chapatis. Liked reading my blog, why not subscribe to the Word Street Journal?