Water Balls, popularly known as Golgappe and Paani Puri in India, is a lip-smacking street food. The circular balls filled with spicy mint water and sweet tamarind sauce are enough to satiate your tastebuds.
With their unparalleled popularity across countries, Water Balls are hard to resist. Here, I am sharing a simple and easy recipe to cook and enjoy delicious Water Balls at home.
Also Read: Upma Recipe: South Indian Delicacy
Note: I have provided links to the ingredients from brands I prefer; however, you may go for a different brand according to your preferences.
- Semolina: 1cup
- Plain Flour: Half tablespoon
- Water (Lukewarm): Half cup
- Refined Oil/Clarified Butter: 2-3 tablespoon
- Refined Oil (for frying): Half the size of the pan
NOTE: You can make around 12-15 balls in one cup of Semolina.
- Water: 1 Glass
- Jaljira Powder: 2 tablespoon
- Mint Sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: As per taste
- Lemon Juice: 3-4 drops
- Boondi (Fried Chickpea Flour Balls): 2 tablespoon
NOTE: Jaljira powder is an Indian-origin powder/drink. It roughly translates to “Cumin water Powder” in English. However, it contains several other ingredients. If you live outside India and are unable to purchase it, simply click here and follow the procedure.
For Tamarind Sauce
1. Take semolina on a plate and add plain flour & oil. Mix them together.
2. Slowly add water & make a soft dough by rubbing & folding for 10 mins.
3. Now, take a deep pan, fill it half with refined oil & heat it on high flame for 3-5 mins.
4. Meanwhile, make small balls (as small as marble balls) from the dough.
5. Now, use a rolling pin to roll the balls evenly in small flat circles.
6. Once the oil is heated, turn the flame low. Add the rolled circles into the hot oil. Let them fry from both sides till the color changes to light brown.
7. Once fried, keep the balls aside.
Also Read: Oreo Chocolate Cake Recipe
1. You can make the mint sauce with some green chilies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, garlic (1-2 pieces), salt & a pinch of crushed ginger. Add some water & blend them together in the mixer to make a thick paste.
2. Take a glass of water and add all the mentioned ingredients. Mix them all together with a spoon. Now the water is ready.
For Tamarind Sauce
1. Take 2 cups of water in a pan, add some tamarind & keep it on gas on high flame.
2. Give it a boil & slow down the flame. 4. Stir it nicely so that the seed gets separated.
3. Take it off the gas, & throw away the seeds.
4. Sieve it while pressing the softened tamarind with your hands. Keep the sieved tamarind water aside & throw the rest.
5. Now again, take 2-3 cups of water in a pan, add jaggery & tamarind water, keep it on the gas stove on high flame.
6. After 1 boil, slow down the flame and cook it for 5 mins (so that the half quantity is left of what you added). It will be thin like water when hot. However, it will become thick once it cools down.
Now, finally, you can have these delicious water balls with your loved ones.
Also Read: Here’s How to Make Cheese Balls at Home
Tips & tricks
- Tamarind sauce should be more sweet and less sour in taste.
- You can use sugar in place of jaggery.
- You can always change the number of ingredients as per your taste & requirement.
- The oil for frying the balls should be hot.
- Don’t keep the tamarind sauce for too long on gas to make a thick paste. It will automatically get thick after cooling down at room temperature.
- Add water slowing while making the dough. Add water, rub and fold it nicely, then again add water. Follow the same procedure till you get the soft dough.