Why do people love Biryani? Well, ask a foodie, and you’ll get an apt answer. In some places in India, Biryani is called the king of delicacies. The rice-filled dish comes in several varieties, not restricted to veg and non-veg identities.
Since you are a fan of vegetable biryani, I am going to share my recipe for the same to help you prepare the tastiest Biryani.
Here’s my Veg biryani recipe, which is short and easy to follow.
Also Read: Recipe Archives
- Cloves – 2
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp
- Garlic – 6 pieces (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 large (chopped into large thin slices)
- Tomato – 1 (medium size, finely chopped)
- Potato – 2 (medium size, chopped in cubes)
- Red chili powder – ½ tbsp
- Biryani masala (from MDH) – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Green chilies – 5
- Coriander – 4 tbsp finely chopped
- Lemon juice – some drops
- Salt – as per taste
- Clarified butter – 1 tbsp
- Mustard oil – 5 tbsp
- Rice – 2.5 cups (measured in Teacups)
- Water – 4 cups (measured in Teacups)
- Firstly, cut all the vegetables and keep them aside.
- Now, take a clean and dry pressure cooker filled with mustard oil. Please keep it on high flame until the oil is heated.
- Once it’s heated, slow down the flame & add cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom & garlic into the oil.
- Once the garlic changes to light brown color, add onion & fry it for 4-5 minutes, then add chopped potatoes and cook it for 3-4 minutes. Keep in mind that onion should not get burnt.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes and mix all the vegetables together.
- After 2 minutes, add salt, some water (around one cup) & other spices mentioned above (in ingredients).
- Give it a boil on high flame. After a boil, cook the spices for around 5 minutes on medium to low flame while stirring them in between. Meanwhile, wash the rice 3-4 times with water.
- After your spices are cooked well, add the washed rice, finely chopped coriander, 1 tbsp of butter & 3-4 drops of lemon juice into the pressure cooker.
- At last, add the 4 cups of water & mix all the ingredients. Close the pressure cooker and cook the dish on high flame. Switch off the flame after one whistle.
Your tasty and easy vegetable biryani is ready. Just wait for another 5-7 mins for the pressure to release before opening the cooker.
Like reading? Subscribe to the Word Street Journal using the below banner, so you don’t miss any posts.