The taste and aroma of White Sauce Pasta is something we all crave for. Having its origins in Tuscany, the lip-smacking delicacy is known worldwide only for good reasons. Though you can enjoy White Sauce Pasta in any outside eatery, cooking it yourself gives a different feeling altogether.
Here’s how to make White Sauce Pasta from the comfort of your kitchen.
INGREDIENTS for White Sauce
- Butter/Flavorless oil – 3 tbsp
- Plain flour – 2 tbsp
- Milk (at room temperature) – 1.5 – 2 cups (Measurement taken by regular Teacup)
- Salt – a pinch
Ingredients for Pasta
- Penne pasta – 2 cups
- Water (to boil pasta) – 6 cups
- Refined oil (required in boiling) – 1 tbsp
- Butter/Flavorless oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 lobe (finely chopped)
- Carrot (chopped in small cubes) – Half from a small size carrot
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 (medium size)
- Mixed herbs – 1 tbsp
- Chili flakes – As per taste
- Black pepper – As per taste
- Cheese spread – 1 tbsp
- Salt – As per taste
Also Read: Golgappe (Water Balls) Recipe
METHOD for White Sauce
- Take a clean & dry pan, add the required butter, and heat it on medium flame.
- Once heated, add the plain flour and mix it nicely with butter. Let it cook for 3-4 mins on low flame.
- Now, slowly add milk while stirring on medium flame. Once the milk is nicely mixed and lump-free, give it a slight boil at high flame and at last cook it for 2 more mins on low flame.
- In the end, add a pinch of salt and check the consistency. It should be like any tomato ketchup from the market. If it’s thick, you can always add milk afterward and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Now the white sauce is ready, keep it aside and prepare the other items.
Also Read: Upma Recipe: South Indian Delicacy
METHOD for PASTA
- Firstly, we need to boil the pasta. We need a cooking vessel filled with 6 cups of water for boiling. Boil it on high flame.
- Now add 2 cups of penne paste & refined oil into the same vessel. Give it a mix and cook it on a medium flame for 2 mins.
- Take the vessel off the flame. After 2-3 mins, strain the hot water and wash the pasta with normal water to stop the process of further cooking.
- Now take a pan, add the required butter, and heat it on medium flame.
- Once heated, add finely chopped garlic. After the garlic is roasted, add onion & Carrot. Cook them for 3-4 mins on medium flame. Don’t overcook as we usually do in Indian curries.
- Now mix these veggies with boiled pasta.
- Put this mixture into the white sauce, add some salt & mix them all together.
- At last, add some black pepper, mixed herbs, red chili flakes & cheese spread. Give it a nice mix.
- Now your white sauce pasta is ready. Just cook it further for 30-60 seconds on low flame.
TIPS & TRICKS for Making White Sauce Pasta
- While making the white sauce, the quantity of butter should be more so that the flour gets easily mixed up. It will help make the sauce lump-free.
- When boiling the pasta, always check in the end if it’s boiled well or not, then only wash it further with normal water. If it’s not boiled, keep it in hot water for some more time.
- Don’t forget to wash it with normal water; else, your pasta will be over-boiled and get sticky.
- You can add more vegetables (capsicum, broccoli, bell pepper) to this dish as per availability.
- You can also use cheese cubes instead of cheese spread, just grate it over the dish and let it cook on low flame in the end.
- If you want a masala flavor in this pasta, you can add some Maggie masala in white sauce.
Enjoyed reading? Please subscribe to The Word Street Journal for more such blogs.